What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?

• Tim
  • Tim's Avatar Topic Author
More
#3723 by Tim
Tim created the topic: What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?
What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?

As far as American 8 days I think it would be hard to beat a Seth Thomas Type 89 movement, they are simple and practically indestructable. Hermle clock movements would be another contender. What do you think?
  • Andy
More
#3732 by Andy
Andy replied the topic: What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?
Sorry Tim, I can not answer that query, though I'm hugely interested. My first post here, I am new to this hobby. I've collected clocks for years and it never occurred to me to learn repair. A friend and neighbor recently passed away and he was into pocket watch repair. I am negotiating with his widow for a K & D inverto staking tool kit #17. It looks mostly complete... a few empty holes. Any guess as to what a fair price would be? Over all appears to be in good condition, not a rusty POS like I've seen on Ebay.
Also, looking for a source for a reasonably priced let down tool, $50.00 seems a bit steep for a four way square drive screw driver! I spent 45 years as a mechanic and know what quality tools cost... Snap-on!
Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated.
Andy
  • Anonymous
#3733 by Anonymous
Anonymous replied the topic: What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?
Hey Andy!

I love doing repair and collecting. It is a great feeling bringing an old clock back to life knowing that it was someones pride and joy and all the history it has been through. I love doing the repair too, its not that hard and you can become quite skilled at it. Here is a
Inverto Staking KitK & D Inverto Deluxe Staking Jewelry tool Set - 18 Pieces for $700, that seems a bit high to me. I would watch ebay and you can walk into a decent staking kit for $100-$200. Concerning the let down tool, this video shows you how to make one:

If you have any questions give me a yell. That is one of the reasons I made the website, its hard to find good info on clock repair.
  • Anonymous
#3734 by Anonymous
Anonymous replied the topic: What Is The Best Clock Movement To Learn Clock Repair On?
Hey Anon,
as I stated in my message, I am negotiating for an Inverto 17, it has 90-100 various bits. 40 some odd vacant holes. I'm wondering what a fair price is to my widowed friend. My deceased friend also had a mini lathe... a jewelers/clockmaker's set up. Not sure of the maker on that, but also looking for a pricing guideline to make a reasonable offer. Would you feel that a prudent purchase for a newbie, or is that a rarely to never needed piece of gear???
I have several clocks that are needing re bushed in the pivots nearest the mainspring, seems the staking tool will be a go to...
My buddy was an Ebay nut and I know he did not pay retail!
I've already viewed your video, thanks. When I dive into something I tend to go deep, educating myself as much as possible. I don't believe in stupid questions, an informed question seems to garner a fuller and more specific response!
Thanks, A.