New Haven mantel clock--gong won't quit

• New Haven mantel clock
  • New Haven mantel clock's Avatar Topic Author
More
#3703 by New Haven mantel clock
New Haven mantel clock created the topic: New Haven mantel clock--gong won't quit
Our very nice New Haven mantel clock has worked well since we bought it at a yard sale. A couple of days ago, the gong kept ringing continuously, instead of stopping at the correct hour. It rang until the spring ran down--luckily it was easy to damp the coil with a cloth napkin! We like hearing the gong, but not that much.
Any suggestions on how to get it back to ringing the correct number of times at the hour, plus the usual single half-hour gong?
  • Anonymous
#3704 by Anonymous
Anonymous replied the topic: New Haven mantel clock--gong won't quit
When was the last time you had it serviced (cleaned/oiled)? I suspect that may be the cause if it hasn't been serviced in some time and it has not been dropped or anything.
  • New Haven mantel clock
More
#3706 by New Haven mantel clock
New Haven mantel clock replied the topic: New Haven mantel clock--gong won't quit
Thanks for your feedback--the clock has not been dropped, and we have never had it serviced, so that sounds like a good suggestion. I will look into doing that myself, or having it done.
  • Anonymous
- #3707 by Anonymous
check around here, they do have some good clock cleaning and oiling articles/videos.
Last Edit: by Tim.
  • New Haven mantel clock
More
#3708 by New Haven mantel clock
New Haven mantel clock replied the topic: New Haven mantel clock--gong won't quit
Yes--I've done just that. I am looking for the best place to buy clock oil and the oiling needles shown in the videos I looked at. I would be happy to buy a kit on this website, because I appreciate all the useful information being shown here, but I can't find this sort of kit listed.
  • Anonymous
#3709 by Anonymous
There are no kits here, best bet is to get an oiler off ebay you can usually pick them up for a couple of bucks.